I don’t know if I should withdraw my support of the NDP or not. I’m going to wait until the end of October to decide. By that point, we’ll see if the extra $1B of EI money actually gets into the system (i.e. if the EI funding bill gets through the HoC and the Senate and into the ministry coffers). As I’ve stated a zillion times, I don’t trust Harper as far as I can throw him. I suspect he’ll use some procedural method to kill the extra EI fund bill, and he’ll laugh evilly as he does so. If such a thing occurs, Layton will be made to look the fool, and my original tenet (that everyone should’ve voted non-confidence in January, including a certain weak-kneed party with leadership issues, because Harper can’t be trusted to deal honestly) still holds. I will withdraw any and all support to any and all parties, as was my position ~5 years ago, and I will vote based solely on who the strongest local candidate is in the next election. Or spoil my ballot if they are all a bunch of self-serving knobs.
On the other hand, if the EI funds do get allocated, and Layton promptly drops his support of the evil Harperfiend, then I can continue supporting the NDP (albeit a little less happily than, say, one month ago, when it was easier to lump everyone into categories of relative slimeyness).
Which, all else being equal, probably means I’m voting Rhino next time around. Time will tell.