It’s been a while, so I’ll ease myself back into the blogging chair with something general. Lord ™ knows, there’s material aplenty.
It’s been a year and a half since Barack Obama took office; a year and a half since hope for the birth of a new sanity in American politics was kindled in my heart. Well, as our Snow Barbie is wont to say, “How’s that hopey-changey stuff workin’ out for ya?”
Yes, I’ll admit it, I was naive enough to dare hope that Obama’s intelligence, native ability, and vision were going to birth a new era. I was in error – American politics when played “for real” is at best a crab-bucket and worst a pig-shit wrestling match. Native ability is worth nothing when you’re greased and rolling.
I was an idiot.
I was an idiot because I believed that the American people had collectively risen above issues of race and had chosen a superior candidate to lead them into a new day. I was an idiot because on election night, 2008, I ignored the misgivings I felt when only 53% of the voting public actually voted for Obama over that pair of drooling idiots the Republicans put forward. Even then I said to myself, “Self, why on earth should this election have been this close?”
I was an idiot to believe that the Tight White Right would just sit there and let this smart, handsome, black man just stand there and preside over them. Furthermore, I was an idiot to think that the Republicans wouldn’t attempt to risk and destroy anything and everything in order to deny their opponents even the slightest accomplishment.
Welcome to the pig shit.
Here is the level of political discourse in the United States:
- Barack Obama is not a Christian
- Barack Obama is a Muslim
- Barack Obama is not American
- Barack Obama is a socialist
- Muslims can’t build a mosque anywhere
- Anchor babies. Yes, anchor babies. Fuck.
And what of the political scene?
- Americans are still afraid of their shadows
- Fear is still the chosen tool of the Right and is winning the battle against reasoned argument in public discourse. Go figure.
- Democrats, nominally the Left in the US, continue to buy into the notion that their views are somehow childish and in order to appear “all growed up” they have to face the “reality” as proposed by Wall St. lobbyists.
- Democrats are going to get rolled in the fall, will lose the Congress and beginning a cycle of investigations and recriminations that will make it look like Ken Starr was giving Bill Clinton a warm stone massage.